Sclerotherapy is an injection technique to address the small red-purple veins of the legs. Sclerotherapy is a series of injections, with a solution of concentrated salt and sugar. It is interesting to note that, although these substances are a necessary component in our bodies, when injected in concentrated form, they cause the purposeful injury to the lining of the undesired blood vessels. The body responds to this purposeful injury by sending in cells that are responsible for healing and inflammation. These immune cells gradually dissolve away the destroyed vessels. This reaction results in the gradual reduction in the number and size of vessels with every treatment.
Who can have Sclerotherapy treatments?
We treat most spider veins but not varicose veins. Any healthy person can generally be treated. There are a few people whose health issues warrant avoiding treatment. We do not treat anyone who is currently pregnant, has had a blood clot, or has diabetes.
Sclerotherapy Pre treatment:
• Try to keep skin fair – tanned skin makes the vessels more difficult to see.
• Bring in a pair of comfortable shorts to wear in your treatment.
• Bring in a tube of antibacterial cream to have applied after your treatment.
• Bring support hose, or tensor bandages (four) which can be purchased inexpensively at the ‘dollar store’.
Sclerotherapy Post treatment:
• An antibacterial cream will be applied at the Clinic after your treatment. Please wash the injected areas twice daily and follow with the antibacterial cream for the first two to three days.
• Please put on the wraps or support hose during your waking hours (off at bedtime) for the first two days. Doing so applies compression to the injured vessels in attempts to assist the vessels in clamping down and closing off.
• Be patient with your body – it will take two to four weeks for your immune system to ‘digest’ away the undesired vessels.
• If you had any problems after your treatment, report it to the Clinic immediately – we want to help.
Frequently Asked Sclerotherapy Questions:
How many Sclerotherapy treatments will I need?
Most individuals require two to four Sclerotherapy treatments in an area to reduce the veins’ appearance by 80%.
Is Sclerotherapy treatment permanent?
The destruction of any vessel that results from the Sclerotherapy treatment is permanent; however, the underlying larger vessels continue to cause the formation of new vessels, requiring ongoing maintenance.
Does Sclerotherapy treatment hurt?
The needle is quite small; however, all individuals have different levels of pain tolerances. Most individuals become accustomed to the sensation. The solution, although harmless sugar and salt, it is quite stingy while it is flowing through the blood vessel. This sensation generally subsides in a matter of seconds after a Sclerotherapy treatment.
Are there any side effects to Sclerotherapy treatment?
Yes – almost everyone bruises. We try to do these types of treatments when people think they will be wearing pants. Less common side effects include: small chance of infection, small chance of a long standing brown mark in the skin, uncommon chance of a small sore developing in reaction to the Sclerotherapy solution, which rarely can result in a small scar, and extremely rare risk of stimulating a blood clot. If ever anyone thought they were experiencing a side effect, we would want to know immediately. We are here to help you.
Brantford, Dundas, Paris, St George, Woodstock, Simcoe, Ancaster, Hamilton, Burford, Burlington, Guelph, Waterloo, Milton, Cambridge, Kitchener, Stoney Creek, Golden Horseshoe, Southern Ontario